Monday 10 September 2018

Lizzie's first week


This week Lizzie joined us as our new music practitioner. Here is her blog about her first week with us...

The past week has been a big one for me. I’ve started working at Do Re Mi, as well as handing in my dissertation which marks the end of my Masters Degree. It seems fitting that these two events have overlapped slightly, as everything I’ve learnt and researched for the past two years is now being put into practice. The Do Re Mi Musical Learning classes, as well as the regular music times in nursery, are based on the very best educational principles and based on detailed research into how little minds develop and how music enhances this. I feel lucky to have landed a job here!

On Thursday morning, I sat in on a wonderful Explorers room music time in nursery led by one of our talented nursery practitioners Chloe (who, despite her own protestations, has one of the loveliest singing voices I’ve heard in a while!). After singing hello to each child in turn, we went on a wonderful musical shopping trip where we bought bananas, tomatoes and chocolates – no prizes for guessing which was my favourite! We travelled to the shops on our horses, enabling us to ‘clip clop’ to the beat, and then we arrived home to ‘chop chop’ all our ingredients up. Most of the children were super keen to join in the singing, but even those who were less confident were doing the actions exactly in time to the best, showing that even at the age of one and two they have already understood and internalised the musical beat. This is the result of exposure to lots of good quality music making from a young age!

There are so many benefits for little ones that come from experiencing music at a young age, particularly the development of speech and language. It was inspiring this morning to watch the children confidently stating the food that they wanted to buy to the rest of the group. Interestingly, those who were a little shy to speak in front of me (I’m not scary, I promise, but I am new!) were happily singing the songs, showing how music can really break down barriers to communication and develop confidence and those all important language skills.

I’ve also loved having a chat with some of the nursery practitioners today, and we’ve been bouncing ideas off each other to add some new songs and activities into the mix and expand our musical learning in nursery even further. I’m already looking forward to getting stuck in again next week!
As well as some more music time loveliness in nursery, this coming week also brings our new term of Do Re Mi Musical Learning classes for 0-5s and their parents and carers. We also start our brand new after school musicianship classes for ages 4-7. There’s certainly going to be lots to talk about in next week’s blog! For now, if you would like any more info on the classes starting this week, on the nursery, or on anything you’ve read just get in touch!

Lizzie x

No comments:

Post a Comment